Tuesday 22 January 2019

Book Review - As Kingfishers Catch Fire by Eugene Peterson


“I found myself taking a deep breath, sitting back letting the book drop slowly to the table as I pondered what I had just read. I’m familiar with this passage of scripture, but I’ve never considered it like this before. Then came the uncomfortable thought that I had misunderstood the Ten Commandments all my life. This was immediately followed by a sense of joy at what these ten rules actually might mean – and I felt free. “

This was my experience more than once as I slowly read through “As Kingfishers Catch Fire”. It’s a collection of sermons by Eugene Peterson, something of an anthology of his preaching over 29 years in one church in Marylands. I’m not going to try to explain the title, though as I read his introduction again I realise just how fitting it is.

What I can say is that this book has had a profound impact on me.

It’s not the first book of Peterson’s that I’ve read. Nor is the first book of sermons that I’ve read. In fact, it’s so different to sermons that I have read in the past that at one point I found myself wondering if I could listen to this kind of preaching week after week. I now think I probably could, though I understand that not all would agree with this for themselves.

Peterson is a poetic figure. By that I mean that his language is filled with poetic imagery – which is not very Presbyterian, but is very good. As I read his sermons, I have found my thoughts begin to grab hold of a theme, or a phrase, or an image, and to then hold that in my mind as I read the rest of that section. And in this way, the message of the sermon strikes into my heart, not just into my brain. This is surely something that preaching should do to all who hear it. 

 Peterson has divided the book into seven sections each with a subheading of “Preaching in the company of  . . .” Here we are given the chance to sit in on some preaching in the company of Moses, David, Isaiah, Solomon, Peter, Paul and John of Patmos. Each section has seven sermons, and though none of these is a long read, you get the chance to think deeply on what God is revealing through his word.

As a preacher myself one of the things that has stood out for me is the preparation time that must have been taken in these sermons. These sermons reveal to me a length of thought and meditation that must clearly have been given in preparation; the careful consideration of a phrase, the right use of a metaphor, and the sense that this is an un-rushed sermon all work together to make somethings stick with me even now.

I have underlined so many things from this book. There are so many phrases that would make great posters, memes, Instagram posts, etc. But doing that will rob them of the context in which they come and so will reduce their impact. (But I made some anyway)


This is not a book to be read quickly. If you do and you tell me you didn’t enjoy it, I would say to you, “Read it again. One sermon every two days. Write the phrase that catches your attention and ponder it for the rest of that day. Then if you still don’t like it, let me know, and we’ll talk.”

If you are in ministry, this book contains pastoral gold. It won’t make you a great preacher, but it will show the value of knowing your people. It will help you as you search for wisdom. 


This is one of the best books I have read.







No comments:

Post a Comment