Sunday 3 March 2019

Review: "Boundaries for Leaders"

When I began in ministry, I read quite a few books on leadership. I also attended a number of leadership conferences and other gatherings had 'effective leadership' as a main emphasis. For the most part, I found it all thoroughly depressing. I heard about church leaders who seemed to be able to make a significant change to their ministry and the people they worked with overnight and now everything was roses and daisies.

I'd leave these conferences excited about what I could do - and then after a few months I realised that all I had was thorns and dead dreams.

Today I finished "Boundaries for Leaders" by Dr Henry Cloud. This book doesn't change my opinion of leadership books, but it's wasn't bad to read something like this again. And, there are a number of stand out comments that I did find really helpful. Most of which are a reminder of things I've read before, but I think that might be the great strength of books like this - I need to read them again and again or I forget the things I need to change and return to my old ways, which aren't always effective.

Here are the comments I want to remember:

From making the coffee to making computers, people have what it takes to get it done, if the right ingredients are present and the wrong ones are not. 42

Remember, never leave your brain at home. . . But as a leader, don't lead in ways that suggest to your people that they might as well leave theirs at home too because they can't use them at work. 48

Research shows that a "getting better" orientation goes much further than a "being perfect" orientation. 72

The act of "paying attention" to what I need to do differently and better next time can't happen if I'm afraid of what you might do to me now. 73,4

Find and focus on the things that you can control that affect outcomes. 130
(And) there are too many forces in the business environment that you cannot control to ever give up the ones you can. 139

A team is not a "group of people". A team is a group of people who have a shared purpose or goal. 165
 
Chapter 10 "Boundaries for Leaders" makes the book worthwhile, I think. Not that the other chapters are bad, just stuff I've read before. 

My advice is to plug in to sources outside of yourself and your organization. Get coaching, join a leadership group or forum, avail yourself of continuing education, attend a leadership conference, and so forth. 205

Don't define yourself by outcomes. 209 (some helpful reminders under this heading)

Remember, you don't need new ways to fail. The old ones are working just fine. And until they are addressed, they will continue to work. 229
 
 
There is also a discussion about giving feedback which I thought was particularly helpful. Not because it tells me that we need to give feedback - I know that. But more because it highlights the very different personalities we all are and how this should affect the way we give feedback. If I only ever give feedback in the way I prefer to hear it myself, there's a good chance people will completely misread what I am attempting to achieve. 
 
I haven't lost anything by reading this book, so I can't say 'Don't read it'. If you're looking for some wisdom on leadership, you can certainly find some of that here. And the things that stood out for me will be different for the things that stand out for you. 
 
But if you have read some other books on leadership and need a refresher, just jump to chapter 10. Maybe have a quick look at page 175 too. You could do worse. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment