Thursday 10 November 2016

Dancing with teenagers

I should confess that this photo is a different event to the one in the blog.

Last weekend, Nov5-6 2016, Anne and I travelled to Benalla in Northern Victoria for an annual dinner dance. What interested me most about this is that it is a youth group event for the Benalla - Balmattum Presbyterian Churches and it is a formal event. People are expected to dress up for the night - and they did. It was also more than just a local event. There were youth from Broadford and Albury churches there as well.

It was also used a fund-raiser for Barnabas Fund and their work to support people fleeing from war-torn countries. These young people are aware of what's happening in the world and want to do something to help.

But beyond this, it was a terrific night for youth and a much older generation to get together. There were only a few older ones who were taking part in the dancing, and Anne and I at least had a go at some of them. In the background though were a team of people who had been cooking, who were now serving and then washing up. And it was great to see.

So, when I read this blog post today on inter-generational ministry, my mind went back to last week.

I encourage you to follow the link and take it in yourself, but here are a couple of stand out comments:
As one senior adult woman put it, “The Snow Ball was a way to get to put names and faces together. We laughed and giggled lots during the line dances. I became acquainted with some I did not know.”
The author made this comment:
I would argue that the value of these connections is a two-way street—the adults benefit as much as the youth.
I agree.

Can you help to connect some of the youth in your church to some of those older saints?

No comments:

Post a Comment